The following information from Shirley Primary School is sourced from the School Newsletter Term 2 Week 4 2023:
Message from the Tumuaki
Alistair Sim — May 18, 2023
We have recently started the Reading Together® programme which is being led by Mrs Marsh and Mrs Meyrick. This programme is another initiative we have introduced ... to raise reading achievement in a significant and sustained manner. We have been delighted by the number of parents who are involved in this programme.
Feedback from parents participating in the Reading Together® programme at Shirley Primary in 2014:
1. Looking back over the workshops, what do you think are the most important things you have learned about helping your child(ren) about reading?
- Staying calm, allowing the time, making it fun
- Having the patience to help him. Slow down
- It’s ok to take time with them and that reading is very hard. Make it fun. And mistakes are OK. Allowing time.
- Making it fun, stay calm and patient. Allowing for time
- Making it fun, patience, allowing the time
2. What difference did your help make for your child(ren)?
- More enjoyable. Keeping up with the routine of reading.
- He’s starting to go back a page if he didn’t recognise it.
- Made it more enjoyable and he is loving reading.
- Confident, independent reading, forming routines
3. What did you find was the hardest part in helping your child(ren)?
- Right at the beginning getting into the routine of reading
- Having to get him to slow down and not make up his own words
- Being patient and engaging H. into reading
- Keeping him focused on the book
- Patience, not telling the word straight away
4. Has the programme helped your child (ren) and your family in other ways?
- Providing the reading material to encourage kids
- Slowly. But these lovely books you have given our kids will help them learn the best they can.
- Yes, we have taken more time to read, made it fun. And my son now loves books! The packs we have been given are amazing. Reading materials are important and helpful.
- Forming routines and Reading Together has provided reading materials that my boy will love.
- Receiving the book packages. Enjoying reading now.
5. Are there any other comments you would like to add?
- Awesome programme to encourage kids with reading and also supporting parents and caregivers.
- Just that helping K. to work the best he can, in his own time and not rush him.
- Thank you Lizzy.
- Thank you so much a really informative and enjoyable course.
- Reading Together is a helpful program.
Acknowledgement: Our thanks to Elisabeth McMillan at Shirley Primary for sharing this feedback.